The Student Council is an organization conducted by students and supervised by the Dean of Student Affairs. The purpose of the Student Council (SC) is to give students opportunities to develop communication, problem-solving, and leadership skills by organizing and carrying out university activities and service projects. In addition, they represent the voices of the student body and attend meetings with senior administration on a monthly basis. The SC speaks to the point on student ideas, interest and concerns with University wised community.
The Student Council follows parliamentary procedures and protocol. Ideas are presented, voted on and confirmed by the majority vote. Students interested in leadership, organizational behavior, event planning or becoming more involved in the University are welcome to nominate themselves for election to the SC.
At the beginning of each academic year, the Deanship of Student Affairs allocates the chance for students to nominate themselves. Following that, the Deanship reviews the applicants, if no violations exist, they are accepted. Afterward, an election process starts online, and by students only. After the nominees introduce themselves to the students on campus the voting process starts. When the voting deadline has passed, the Deanship takes the highest voted 9 nominees combined with three students from the previous council as consultants. The election process begins on October 6th and continues until the 10th of October, whereby the Student Council will begin to operate for 1 year and will end when the election for the following council has concluded in order for the handover processes to function efficiently.
Since 2010, thirteen Student Councils have been elected under the supervision of the Deanship of Student Affairs. The Deanship team looks forward to your participation, whether by nomination, or voting in the next election.
Student Council Activities and Initiatives for the Academic Year 2022/2023
- The Student Council met with the Vice President for Academic Affairs to discuss several pressing matters voiced by the students of PSU
- The Student Council collaborated with the Deanship of Student Affairs to facilitate the orientation process for new students to join PSU at the beginning of the Academic Year. Some of the programs performed by the Council were: giving a tour around the campus, giving briefs about each college, introduction about the role of the Student Council, questions and answers booth, all of the aforementioned services were for newly inducted students, in order to help facilitate the beginning of their journey in PSU.
- The Student Council represented Prince Sultan University during the LEAP conference; which is regarded to be the biggest technological conference in the world
- The Student Council Represented the Prince Sultan University in the international day for volunteering
- The Student Council worked on several initiatives aimed at creating an idea environment for PSU students, such as: coffee shops, restaurants, studying areas etc...
- The Student Council collaborated with the Deanship of Student Affairs in organizing the Alumni Gathering
Student Council Advisory Board
In the Deanship’s continuous efforts to further empower, and solidify the Student Council’s role as a representative of PSU’s student-body, it became paramount to establish the Student Council Advisory Board; which has the following as its duties and responsibilities:
- The Board Shall review, determine the feasibility, and confer on the implementation of the proposals set fourth by the Student Council
- The Board shall ensure a unified vision for the Student Council on both Campuses
- The Board Shall establish a budget for the Student Council- if needed
- The Board shall meet once per semester (ad-hoc meetings may be requested by the chair, or any of the members, if necessary)
- The board shall deliver the concerns and feedback of students for the purpose of remedying and further enhancing the PSU educational and experiential journey of all students
Student Council Mentor Program
The Student Council chairs the mentor program; which aims to have mentors named as “Mentor-Brothers”; Mentor Brothers are mainly third- or fourth-year students with excellent knowledge of the PSU educational experience (exams and recommendation of clubs that will suit to be useful to their major). This program will ensure that students always have a place to refer back to with regards to any complications they might have. The student Council handpicks the best mentors with the most optimum level of knowledge, thereby ensuring that mentors provide the best advice to their mentees
The Deanship of Student Affairs recognizes the importance of student clubs and their roles in the overall development and morale of university students. Towards that end, the DSA encourages students to submit club proposals which are vetted and assessed en route to being listed as a DSA recognized student club.
The Deanship of Student Affairs offers two types of Clubs: academic, and non-academic. This ensures that the university students’ needs are met whereby their overall academic performance can improve by becoming a part of academic clubs and their spirits can be lifted by the recreational clubs.
Student Club Activities
Digital Media Club: UX Design Workshop, club Fair, workshop – Basics of Editing in Premiere Pro, Digital Media & HCI Showcase
EdTech Club: Orientation session, OpenMic session, Emerging Technologies session, KACST internship experience
PSU Toastmasters Club: Communication and Leadership Skills